Saturday, July 23, 2011

I've Seen What Happy Is

My father continues to teach me every day. He continues to teach me the most important lessons of life. And he continues to teach me what it means to strive to be a good man.

His latest lesson derived from a glance and a facial expression. It was all at once an expression of complete and utter contentment, peace, accomplishment, and hope.

Last weekend my sister and her family joined me and my family at my parent's house. During the simple act of eating breakfast together around a large table I saw the expression that so moved me. It happened when my father looked around the table at his three grandsons, his granddaughter, his son, son-in-law, daughter, daughter-in-law, and his wife. I think even my new puppy caught glimpse.

He was for that moment filled with pride. It was a pride that I am just beginning to understand at this stage in my life, and one that I truly hope to feel at his stage in life. It was a pride earned from being the patriarch of a thriving family, and from being loved by that family.

With just a glance he teaches me. With just a glance I learn what I want in life. With just a glance I am utterly grateful.

HJ

No comments:

Post a Comment

View Henry Johnston's check-ins on GetGlue